Nine articles on PainSci cite Deyo 2001: 1. Reviews of Pain Professions 2. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 3. (Almost) Never Use Ice on Low Back Pain! 4. Complete Guide to Low Back Pain 5. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 6. A Historical Perspective On Aches ‘n’ Pains 7. Your Back Is Not Out of Alignment 8. MRI and X-Ray Often Worse than Useless for Back Pain 9. Massage Therapy Kinda, Sorta Works for Back Pain
PainSci summary of Deyo 2001: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided wherever possible.
Although it’s getting old, this remains an excellent tutorial for health professionals, offering a thorough and sensible survey of current medical knowledge about low back pain. Deyo and Weinstein are strongly critical of overmedicalization and excessive imaging and surgery for low back pain, and emphasize the favourable prognosis for most back pain, the poor correlation between imaging results and symptoms, and the absence of any clear pathophysiological mechanism to explain most low back pain. All of their key points have been reinforced by scientific evidence ever since.
~ Paul Ingraham
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.