Nine articles on PainSci cite Deyo 2001: 1. Reviews of Pain Professions 2. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 3. (Almost) Never Use Ice on Low Back Pain! 4. The Complete Guide to Low Back Pain 5. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 6. A Historical Perspective On Aches ‘n’ Pains 7. Your Back Is Not Out of Alignment 8. MRI and X-Ray Often Worse than Useless for Back Pain 9. Massage Therapy Kinda, Sorta Works for Back Pain
PainSci commentary on Deyo 2001: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided wherever possible.
Although it’s getting old, this remains an excellent tutorial for health professionals, offering a thorough and sensible survey of current medical knowledge about low back pain. Deyo and Weinstein are strongly critical of overmedicalization and excessive imaging and surgery for low back pain, and emphasize the favourable prognosis for most back pain, the poor correlation between imaging results and symptoms, and the absence of any clear pathophysiological mechanism to explain most low back pain. All of their key points have been reinforced by scientific evidence ever since.
~ Paul Ingraham
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Sudden amnesia resulting in pain relief: the relationship between memory and pain. Choi 2007 Pain.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.