Four articles on PainSci cite American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013: (1) The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (2) Does Acupuncture Work for Pain? (3) Can Supplements Help Arthritis and Other Aches and Pains? (4) Knee Surgery Sure is Useless!
PainSci summary of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible.
A major, comprehensive report on treatments for knee arthritis. Exercise, weight loss, and regular painkillers are praised as effective. Particularly ineffective treatments include acupuncture, glucosamine, chondroitin, “lube jobs” (injection of joint lubricant), and surgical lavage and debridement. Homeopathy is left out (presumably considered beneath contempt). The report is notable for its integrity: written by an association of surgeons, it nevertheless denounces a profitable, common surgical treatment for osteoarthritis (athroscopic lavage and debridement, basically polishing joint surfaces). They tipped over their own cash cow! Dr. Harriet Hall:
Critics who claim doctors are just out to make money, take note: if they were the evil money-grubbers some make them out to be, wouldn’t these surgeons want to promote income-generating arthroscopic lavage and debridement? Wouldn’t they want to suppress information about conservative treatments and keep patients in pain until they were desperate enough to consent to expensive joint replacement surgery? Gee, do you suppose maybe they really are just trying to do what’s best for their patients?
Specifically regarding American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013:
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.