Three articles on PainSci cite Williams 1990: 1. The Trouble with Chairs 2. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 3. Micro Muscles and the Dance of the Sarcomeres
PainSci notes on Williams 1990:
If muscles are not used, and ROM is lessened, can stretching assist in returning ROM to normal? “It was found that periods of stretch as short as 1/2 h daily were sufficient not only to prevent loss of sarcomeres but actually to cause an increase in the number of sarcomeres in series.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
After immobilisation of muscle in a shortened position there is a reduction of muscle fibre length due to a loss of serial sarcomeres. Experiments have been carried out to determine whether short, daily periods of stretch prevent sarcomere loss and the resultant loss of range of joint motion. It was found that periods of stretch as short as 1/2 h daily were sufficient not only to prevent loss of sarcomeres but actually to cause an increase in the number of sarcomeres in series. Range of joint motion was normal. Such short periods of stretch were also found to prevent much of the muscle atrophy normally associated with immobilisation in the shortened position.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.