One article on PainSci cites Wijnands 2019: A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: The multiple sclerosis (MS) prodrome is poorly characterized.
OBJECTIVE: To phenotype the MS prodrome via health care encounters.
METHODS: Using data from a population-based cohort study linking administrative and clinical data in four Canadian provinces, we compared physician and hospital encounters and prescriptions filled (via International Classification of Diseases chapters, physician specialty or drug classes) for MS subjects in the 5 years before the first demyelinating claim in an administrative cohort or the clinical symptom onset in an MS clinic-derived cohort, to age-, sex- and geographically matched controls. Rate ratios (RRs), 95% confidence intervals (95% CIs) and proportions were estimated.
RESULTS: The administrative and clinical cohorts included 13,951/66,940 and 3202/16,006 people with and without MS (cases/controls). Compared to controls, in the 5 years before the first demyelinating claim or symptom onset, cases had more physician and hospital encounters for the nervous (RR (range) = 2.31; 95% CI: 1.05-5.10 to 4.75; 95% CI: 3.11-7.25), sensory (RR (range) = 1.40; 95% CI: 1.34-1.46 to 2.28; 95% CI: 1.72-3.02), musculoskeletal (RR (range) = 1.19; 95% CI: 1.07-1.33 to 1.70; 95% CI: 1.57-1.85) and genito-urinary systems (RR (range) = 1.17; 95% CI: 1.05-1.30 to 1.59; 95% CI: 1.48-1.70). Cases had more psychiatrist and urologist encounters (RR (range) = 1.48; 95% CI: 1.36-1.62 to 1.80; 95% CI: 1.61-2.01), and higher proportions of musculoskeletal, genito-urinary or hormonal-related prescriptions (1.1-1.5 times higher, all p < 0.02). However, cases had fewer pregnancy-related encounters than controls (RR = 0.78; 95% CI: 0.71-0.86 to 0.88; 95% CI: 0.84-0.92).
CONCLUSION: Phenotyping the prodrome 5 years before clinical recognition of MS is feasible.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.