Five years before multiple sclerosis onset: Phenotyping the prodrome
Two articles on PainSci cite Wijnands 2019: 1. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 2. A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: The multiple sclerosis (MS) prodrome is poorly characterized.
OBJECTIVE: To phenotype the MS prodrome via health care encounters.
METHODS: Using data from a population-based cohort study linking administrative and clinical data in four Canadian provinces, we compared physician and hospital encounters and prescriptions filled (via International Classification of Diseases chapters, physician specialty or drug classes) for MS subjects in the 5 years before the first demyelinating claim in an administrative cohort or the clinical symptom onset in an MS clinic-derived cohort, to age-, sex- and geographically matched controls. Rate ratios (RRs), 95% confidence intervals (95% CIs) and proportions were estimated.
RESULTS: The administrative and clinical cohorts included 13,951/66,940 and 3202/16,006 people with and without MS (cases/controls). Compared to controls, in the 5 years before the first demyelinating claim or symptom onset, cases had more physician and hospital encounters for the nervous (RR (range) = 2.31; 95% CI: 1.05-5.10 to 4.75; 95% CI: 3.11-7.25), sensory (RR (range) = 1.40; 95% CI: 1.34-1.46 to 2.28; 95% CI: 1.72-3.02), musculoskeletal (RR (range) = 1.19; 95% CI: 1.07-1.33 to 1.70; 95% CI: 1.57-1.85) and genito-urinary systems (RR (range) = 1.17; 95% CI: 1.05-1.30 to 1.59; 95% CI: 1.48-1.70). Cases had more psychiatrist and urologist encounters (RR (range) = 1.48; 95% CI: 1.36-1.62 to 1.80; 95% CI: 1.61-2.01), and higher proportions of musculoskeletal, genito-urinary or hormonal-related prescriptions (1.1-1.5 times higher, all p < 0.02). However, cases had fewer pregnancy-related encounters than controls (RR = 0.78; 95% CI: 0.71-0.86 to 0.88; 95% CI: 0.84-0.92).
CONCLUSION: Phenotyping the prodrome 5 years before clinical recognition of MS is feasible.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.