Two articles on PainSci cite Warren 1978: 1. Massage Therapy Side Effects 2. Does Massage Increase Circulation?
PainSci commentary on Warren 1978: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided wherever possible.
Case report of an elderly woman who developed a lung embolus after her husband vigorously massaged her leg, which had a known deep vein thrombosis — a serious contraindication to massage which any competent massage therapist would certainly avoid. But not all of them…and not husbands as a general rule.
~ Paul Ingraham
- “Renal artery embolization after back massage in a patient with aortic occlusion,” A Mikhail, J F Reidy, P R Taylor, and J E Scoble, Nephrol Dial Transplant, 1997.
- “Massive pulmonary emboli after legs massage,” Fadi I Jabr, Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 2007.
- “Massaging the outcome: an unusual presentation of pulmonary embolism,” Danny Chin Guan Lim, Hari Kishan Jayanthi, Andrew Money-Kyrle, and Punit Ramrakha, BMJ Case Rep, 2009.
- “Leg massage by mother resulting in fatal pulmonary thromboembolism,” Chittaranjan Behera, Shinto Devassy, Asit R Mridha, Mohit Chauhan, and Sudhir K Gupta, Med Leg J, 2018.
- “Leg massage during pregnancy with unrecognized deep vein thrombosis could be life threatening: a case report,” Krongkarn Sutham, Sukumpat Na-Nan, Salilthip Paiboonsithiwong, Pakorn Chaksuwat, and Theera Tongsong, BMC Pregnancy Childbirth, 2020.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- No long-term effects after a three-week open-label placebo treatment for chronic low back pain: a three-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Kleine-Borgmann 2022 Pain.
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.