One article on PainSci cites de Vos 2014: Does Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Work?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Chronic lateral epicondylar tendinopathy is frequent in athletes, and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is being used increasingly in its treatment.
OBJECTIVE: To systematically review the literature on the efficacy of PRP injections for chronic lateral epicondylar tendinopathy.
METHODS: The databases of PubMed, EMBASE, CINAHL, Medline OvidSP, Scopus, Google Scholar, Web of Science and Cochrane Library were searched in October 2013. Inclusion criteria were a clinical diagnosis of chronic lateral epicondylar tendinopathy, a randomised controlled trial, an intervention with a PRP injection and the outcome measures described in terms of pain and/or function. One author screened the search results and two authors independently assessed the study quality using the Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro) score. A study was considered to be of high quality if its PEDro score was ≥6. A best evidence synthesis was used to identify the level of evidence.
RESULTS: 6 studies were included, of which four were considered to be of high quality. Three high-quality studies (75%) and two low-quality studies showed no significant benefit at the final follow-up measurement or predefined primary outcome score when compared with a control group. One high-quality study (25%) showed a beneficial effect of a PRP injection when compared with a corticosteroid injection (corticosteroid injections are harmful in tendinopathy). Based on the best evidence synthesis, there is strong evidence that PRP injections are not efficacious in chronic lateral epicondylar tendinopathy.
CONCLUSIONS: There is strong evidence that PRP injections are not efficacious in the management of chronic lateral elbow tendinopathy.
- “Impact of autologous blood injections in treatment of mid-portion Achilles tendinopathy: double blind randomised controlled trial,” Kevin J Bell, Mark L Fulcher, David S Rowlands, and Ngaire Kerse, British Medical Journal, 2013.
- “Platelet-rich therapies for musculoskeletal soft tissue injuries,” Vinícius Y Moraes, Mário Lenza, Marcel Jun Tamaoki, Flávio Faloppa, and João Carlos Belloti, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2014.
- “Autologous growth factor injections in chronic tendinopathy,” Michelle A Sandrey, Journal of Athletic Training, 2014.
- “Popular Blood Therapy May Not Work,” Gina Kolata, New York Times.
- “Meta-analysis Comparing Platelet-Rich Plasma vs Hyaluronic Acid Injection in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis,” Yanhong Han, Hetao Huang, Jianke Pan, Jiongtong Lin, Lingfeng Zeng, Guihong Liang, Weiyi Yang, and Jun Liu, Pain Med, 2019.
- “The Efficacy of Platelet-Rich Plasma on Tendon and Ligament Healing: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis With Bias Assessment,” Xiao Chen, Ian A Jones, Caron Park, and Jr Vangsness, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2018.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.