Three articles on PainSci cite Viitasalo 1995: 1. Hot Baths for Injury & Pain 2. A Deep Dive into Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness 3. Heat for Pain and Rehab
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
14 patients with stabilized myocardial infarction were submitted to a functional evaluation before and after 3 sessions of interval training on the bicycle ergometer. With submaximal exercise, myocardial load decreases after short-term training, the heart rate and the blood pressure--heart rate product being significantly lower for the same oxygen consumption. Maximal working capacity, expressed in watts or oxygen consumption, increases significantly after short-term training, the benefit being one-third of that obtained after 6 weeks' training. These early changes in functional capacity are positively correlated with those obtained by a more prolonged rehabilitation program. Leg muscular blood flow during submaximal and maximal exercise tends to increase after short-term training, although this change is not systematic and thus not significant.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- No long-term effects after a three-week open-label placebo treatment for chronic low back pain: a three-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Kleine-Borgmann 2022 Pain.
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.