Three articles on PainSci cite Viitasalo 1995: 1. Hot Baths for Injury & Pain 2. A Deep Dive into Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness 3. Heat for Pain and Rehab
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
14 patients with stabilized myocardial infarction were submitted to a functional evaluation before and after 3 sessions of interval training on the bicycle ergometer. With submaximal exercise, myocardial load decreases after short-term training, the heart rate and the blood pressure--heart rate product being significantly lower for the same oxygen consumption. Maximal working capacity, expressed in watts or oxygen consumption, increases significantly after short-term training, the benefit being one-third of that obtained after 6 weeks' training. These early changes in functional capacity are positively correlated with those obtained by a more prolonged rehabilitation program. Leg muscular blood flow during submaximal and maximal exercise tends to increase after short-term training, although this change is not systematic and thus not significant.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.