One article on PainSci cites Uppal 2015: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Frozen shoulder is a common disease which causes significant morbidity. Despite over a hundred years of treating this condition the definition, diagnosis, pathology and most efficacious treatments are still largely unclear. This systematic review of current treatments for frozen shoulder reviews the evidence base behind physiotherapy, both oral and intra articular steroid, hydrodilatation, manipulation under anaesthesia and arthroscopic capsular release. Key areas in which future research could be directed are identified, in particular with regard to the increasing role of arthroscopic capsular release as a treatment.
- “Management of frozen shoulder: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis,” Maund et al, Health Technol Assess, 2012.
- “Prognostic factors and therapeutic options for treatment of frozen shoulder: a systematic review,” Eljabu et al, Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery, 2016.
- “Diagnosis and management of adhesive capsulitis,” Manske et al, Current Reviews In Musculoskeletal Medicine, 2008.
- “Frozen shoulder: the effectiveness of conservative and surgical interventions — systematic review,” Favejee et al, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2011.
- “Shoulder adhesive capsulitis: systematic review of randomised trials using multiple corticosteroid injections,” Shah et al, Br J Gen Pract, 2007.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.