original abstract†Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Frozen shoulder is a common disease which causes significant morbidity. Despite over a hundred years of treating this condition the definition, diagnosis, pathology and most efficacious treatments are still largely unclear. This systematic review of current treatments for frozen shoulder reviews the evidence base behind physiotherapy, both oral and intra articular steroid, hydrodilatation, manipulation under anaesthesia and arthroscopic capsular release. Key areas in which future research could be directed are identified, in particular with regard to the increasing role of arthroscopic capsular release as a treatment.
- “Management of frozen shoulder: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis,” E Maund, D Craig, S Suekarran, Ar Neilson, K Wright, S Brealey, L Dennis, L Goodchild, N Hanchard, A Rangan, G Richardson, J Robertson, and C McDaid, Health Technol Assess, 2012.
- “Prognostic factors and therapeutic options for treatment of frozen shoulder: a systematic review,” Walid Eljabu, Hans Michael Klinger, and Marius von Knoch, Archives of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery, 2016.
- “Diagnosis and management of adhesive capsulitis,” Robert C Manske and Daniel Prohaska, Current Reviews In Musculoskeletal Medicine, 2008.
- “Frozen shoulder: the effectiveness of conservative and surgical interventions — systematic review,” M M Favejee, B M A Huisstede, and B W Koes, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2011.
- “Shoulder adhesive capsulitis: systematic review of randomised trials using multiple corticosteroid injections,” Nicholas Shah and Mark Lewis, Br J Gen Pract, 2007.
One article on PainScience.com cites Uppal 2015 as a source:
- PS Frozen Shoulder Guide — An extremely detailed & readable guide to one of the strangest of all common musculoskeletal problems, for both patients and pros
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.