Three articles on PainSci cite Tai 2020: 1. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 2. Does Epsom Salt Work? 3. Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements for Pain & Healing
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are the mainstay of therapy for all gastric acid related diseases and are commonly used in current clinical practice. Although widely regarded as safe, PPIs have been associated with a variety of adverse effects, including hypomagnesaemia. The postulated mechanism of PPI-related hypomagnesaemia involves inhibition of intestinal magnesium absorption via transient receptor potential melastin (TRPM) 6 and 7 cation channels. PPIinduced hypomagnesaemia (PPIH) has become a well recognized phenomenon since it was first reported in 2006. Clinical concerns arise from growing number of case reports presenting PPIH as a consequence of long-term PPI use, with more than 30 cases published to date. In this article, we report 2 cases of PPIH associated with the use of pantoprazole. Both patients presented with severe hypomagnesaemia and hypocalcaemia. One of them had associated hypokalemia and cardiac arrhythmia. A casual relation with PPIs postulated and supported by resolution of electrolyte abnormalities after discontinuation of PPIs.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Sudden amnesia resulting in pain relief: the relationship between memory and pain. Choi 2007 Pain.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.