One article on PainSci cites Swain 1999: Does Epsom Salt Work?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Magnesium is a trace mineral in several hundred chemical reactions in the body. It has therapeutic potential in many medical conditions. In this review, we attempted to clarify the current information on the role of magnesium as a therapeutic agent.
METHODS: A MEDLINE search from 1966 through March 1999 was conducted, using PubMed and "Magnesium" and "Therapeutic Usage" as the two initial key headings. Important articles were also identified from the bibliographies of the initial articles.
RESULTS: A total of 51 articles were included in this review. Articles were excluded if they were based on animal study or were in a language other than English.
CONCLUSION: Magnesium has long been used as an ingredient in laxatives and antacids. It seems clear that intravenous magnesium also is effective for the suppression of ventricular ectopy in the hospital setting and is a first-line agent for torsades de pointes. It is less clear whether it is useful in patients with congestive heart failure or acute myocardial infarction (MI). Although effective for treatment of preeclampsia/eclampsia, its use in the termination of preterm labor has recently been questioned. In asthma and chronic lung disease, intravenous magnesium may be useful when conventional treatment has failed. Finally, magnesium may have a role in the prevention and treatment of vascular headaches.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.