One article on PainSci cites Sutherland 2016: A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a treatment providing 100% oxygen at a pressure greater than that at sea level. HBOT is becoming increasingly recognized as a potential treatment modality for a broad range of ailments, including chronic pain. In this narrative review, we discuss the current understanding of pathophysiology of nociceptive, inflammatory and neuropathic pain, and the body of animal studies addressing mechanisms by which HBOT may ameliorate these different types of pain. Finally, we review clinical studies suggesting that HBOT may be useful in treating chronic pain syndromes, including chronic headache, fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome, and trigeminal neuralgia.
DATABASE AND DATA TREATMENT: A comprehensive search through MEDLINE, EMBASE, Scopus, and Web of Science for studies relating to HBOT and pain was performed using the following keywords: hyperbaric oxygen therapy or hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBOT), nociceptive pain, inflammatory pain, neuropathic pain, HBOT AND pain, HBOT AND headache, HBOT AND fibromyalgia, HBOT AND complex regional pain syndrome, and HBOT AND trigeminal neuralgia.
RESULTS: Twenty-five studies examining the role of HBOT in animal models of pain and human clinical trials were found and reviewed for this narrative review.
CONCLUSIONS: HBOT has been shown to reduce pain using animal models. Early clinical research indicates HBOT may also be useful in modulating human pain; however, further studies are required to determine whether HBOT is a safe and efficacious treatment modality for chronic pain conditions.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.