This excellent book by an orthopedic surgeon explores the shameful history of untested surgeries in considerable detail. It’s fascinating and mostly easy enough reading even for patients.
open in this window or new window
About this item:
Closely related items:
- “Sham Surgery in Orthopedics: A Systematic Review of the Literature,” Adriaan Louw, Ina Diener, César Fernández-de-Las-Peñas, and Emilio J Puentedura, Pain Med, 2016.
- “To what extent are surgery and invasive procedures effective beyond a placebo response? A systematic review with meta-analysis of randomised, sham controlled trials,” Wayne B Jonas, Cindy Crawford, Luana Colloca, Ted J Kaptchuk, Bruce Moseley, Franklin G Miller, Levente Kriston, Klaus Linde, and Karin Meissner, BMJ Open, 2015.
These fifteen articles on PainScience.com cite this item as a source:
- Massage Therapy for Back Pain, Hip Pain, and Sciatica
- Extraordinary Health Claims
- Complete Guide to Low Back Pain
- The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Complete Guide to Plantar Fasciitis
- Tennis Elbow Guide
- The Complete Guide to Neck Pain & Cricks
- Should You Get A Lube Job for Your Arthritic Knee?
- Do Nerve Blocks Work for Neck Pain and Low Back Pain?
- Chiropractor, Naturopath Training Way Less Than Doctors
- Placebo Power Hype
- Knee Surgery Sure is Useless!
- Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
- Knee Replacement Surgery Doubts
- Painful Lessons