One article on PainSci cites Snyder-Mackler 1994: Zapped! Does TENS work for pain?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
A burst-superimposition technique was used to assess the strength of the quadriceps femoris muscle in three groups of patients. Group 1 comprised twenty patients who had had a torn anterior cruciate ligament of the knee and had a reconstruction of the ligament one to six months after the injury. Group 2 comprised twelve patients who had had a torn anterior cruciate ligament for an average of three months (a subacute tear). Group 3 comprised eight patients who had had a torn anterior cruciate ligament for an average of two years (a chronic tear). The patients in Groups 2 and 3 had not had an operation for the torn ligament. The patients in Groups 1 and 3 had no evidence of failure of activation of the involved quadriceps, but nine of the twelve patients in Group 2 had reflex inhibition of contraction of the muscle.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.