Nine articles on PainSci cite Smith 2012: 1. Extraordinary Health Claims 2. The Complete Guide to IT Band Syndrome 3. The Complete Guide to Low Back Pain 4. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 5. Complete Guide to Plantar Fasciitis 6. Shin Splints Treatment, The Complete Guide 7. The Complete Guide to Neck Pain & Cricks 8. How to Simplify Chronic Pain Puzzles 9. Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Patients use the Internet regularly to access health-related information. This study's goal was to assess the quality and content of Internet-based information for common foot and ankle diagnoses. METHODS: We identified the ten most common foot and ankle diagnoses in our academic foot and ankle practice. Ten websites for each diagnosis were identified using two large Internet search engines. A custom grading form was used to determine website quality, based upon the Health On the Net Foundation (HON) principles, and information content. Four independent reviewers graded each website. RESULTS: One hundred thirty-six unique websites were reviewed. Average HON score was 62.4 (range, 52.3-68.8) and content score was 49.7 (range, 33.8-62.1) out of a maximum of 100. Interobserver variability was low. CONCLUSIONS: The overall quality of Internet information for common foot and ankle diagnoses is variable, raising concerns about what information is currently available to patients.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.