One article on PainSci cites Sinha 2017: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Adhesive capsulitis is a common cause of stiff shoulder and may result in pain and restriction of movement. The study aimed to investigate the role of hydrodilatation of the glenohumeral joint in the management of adhesive capsulitis.
METHODS: Patients referred from the shoulder clinic underwent hydrodilatation under ultrasound guidance. Of 209 referred for hydrodilatation, 163 underwent the procedure and attended follow-up physiotherapy. Outcome measures were available for 118 patients (58 men and 60 women). Mean age of the study group was 52.6 years.
RESULTS: There was a statistically significant improvement in both Oxford Shoulder Score (OSS) and Disability Arm Shoulder Hand Scores (Quick DASH) in the first 4 weeks after the procedure, which was maintained but not improved to the end of the study period. Patients presenting with pain, those who had a history of steroid injections and older patients all had worse functional scores at presentation. Diabetes (both Type I and II), previous physiotherapy, length of history and whether pain or stiffness, or both, were the predominant symptom did not have any statistical significance at presentation. These factors were not predictors of any statistically significant improvement in functional scores.
CONCLUSIONS: Hydrodilatation results in a significant improvement of symptoms in patients with adhesive capsulitis.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.