Two articles on PainSci cite Simpson 1991: 1. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 2. Achilles Tendinitis Treatment Science
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
To assess the value of ultrasound in imaging the plantaris tendon, ultrasounds were done on 26 legs in 25 patients who had a variety of surgical procedures on the posterior leg. Eighteen ultrasounds were done and interpreted before operation and eight after operation by a radiologist. The sonographic results were compared with the status of the plantaris as determined at surgery. The plantaris was present in 21 of 23 patients for a prevalence of 91%. Eighteen plantaris tendons were well visualized on ultrasound for a sensitivity of 86%. Of the three false-negative results, two occurred with thinned plantaris tendons that were less than 2 mm thick and hence considered inadequate for grafting. Therefore, the sensitivity for detecting a tendon suitable for grafting was 95%. All patients with positive studies had a plantaris tendon present for a specificity of 100%. A learning curve for the radiologist was demonstrated. Ultrasound appears to be effective in the preoperative imaging of the plantaris tendon.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.