Two articles on PainSci cite Simpson 1991: 1. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 2. Achilles Tendinitis Treatment Science
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
To assess the value of ultrasound in imaging the plantaris tendon, ultrasounds were done on 26 legs in 25 patients who had a variety of surgical procedures on the posterior leg. Eighteen ultrasounds were done and interpreted before operation and eight after operation by a radiologist. The sonographic results were compared with the status of the plantaris as determined at surgery. The plantaris was present in 21 of 23 patients for a prevalence of 91%. Eighteen plantaris tendons were well visualized on ultrasound for a sensitivity of 86%. Of the three false-negative results, two occurred with thinned plantaris tendons that were less than 2 mm thick and hence considered inadequate for grafting. Therefore, the sensitivity for detecting a tendon suitable for grafting was 95%. All patients with positive studies had a plantaris tendon present for a specificity of 100%. A learning curve for the radiologist was demonstrated. Ultrasound appears to be effective in the preoperative imaging of the plantaris tendon.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.