Two articles on PainSci cite Rodríguez-Morán 2008: 1. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 2. Does Epsom Salt Work?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
OBJECTIVE: To assess the hypothesis that magnesium deficiency is associated with elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) levels.
DESIGN: Community-based cross-sectional study.
SETTING: 488 apparently healthy children aged 10-13 years were randomly enrolled from Durango, a city in northern Mexico, through two-stage cluster sampling.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Serum magnesium and hsCRP levels, lipid profile, glucose and insulin levels.
RESULTS: A total of 109 (22.3%) and 101 (20.7%) children had elevated hsCRP concentrations and low serum magnesium levels; among them, 87.1% exhibited both. Children who had both elevated hsCRP levels (2.45 (10.6) mg/l) and hypomagnesemia (1.3 (0.3) mg/dl) exhibit the highest fasting glucose (96.0 (13.9) mg/dl), insulin (13.6 (7.5) microU/ml) and triglycerides (131.5 (43.5) mg/dl) levels as well as the lowest HDL-cholesterol (46.4 (9.0) mg/dl) levels. Adjusted multivariate logistic regression analysis showed a strong association between low serum magnesium and high hsCRP levels (odds ratio 4.1; 95% confidence interval 1.3 to 10.8).
CONCLUSIONS: Magnesium depletion is independently associated with elevated hsCRP levels, suggesting that hypomagnesemia and low-grade inflammation are interactive risk factors.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.