original abstract†Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Seventeen patients who had recalcitrant chronic adhesive capsulitis were operated on between 1979 and 1986 and were followed for an average of 6.8 years. At operation, the major cause of the restricted glenohumeral movement was found to be contracture of the coracohumeral ligament and rotator interval. Release of the contracted structures relieved pain and restored motion of the shoulder in all patients. Histological study showed fibrosis, hyalinization, and fibrinoid degeneration in the contracted connective tissues, as well as fibrosis of the subsynovial tissue and an absence of the synovial cell layer on the joint side of the rotator interval. The contracture of the coracohumeral ligament and rotator interval appears to be the main lesion in chronic adhesive capsulitis. Resection of these structures, combined with appropriate exercise, will relieve pain and restore motion to the shoulder.
- “The pathology of frozen shoulder. A Dupuytren-like disease,” an article in Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 1995.
One article on PainScience.com cites Ozaki 1989 as a source:
- PS Frozen Shoulder Guide — A readable self-help manual for one the strangest of all common musculoskeletal problems, adhesive capsulitis
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.
- Association of Spinal Manipulative Therapy With Clinical Benefit and Harm for Acute Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Paige 2017 JAMA.