One article on PainSci cites O'Sullivan 2012: Complete Guide to Low Back Pain
PainSci notes on O'Sullivan 2012:
Dr. O’Sullivan in 2021, summarizing his 2012 editorial on Twitter:
I used to believe instability in the Lx spine was a thing — even published about it — but the evidence just didn’t stack up. Discussed here [full text PDF].
A nugget from the editorial:
“It is now clear that there is little evidence to support the view that ‘instability’ underpins the basis of disabling non-specific chronic low back pain. There are no studies that demonstrate a clear relationship between spinal or pelvic mobility, degenerative processes, pain and disability.”
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.