One article on PainSci cites Osborne 2006: Complete Guide to Plantar Fasciitis
PainSci notes on Osborne 2006:
From the abstract: “ ... the key radiological features that differentiate the groups were not spurs but rather changes in the soft tissues.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Plantar fasciitis is a clinical diagnosis and is often combined with some form of imaging to validate the diagnosis. The clinical utility of lateral X-rays lies in the fact that they are relatively inexpensive and may contribute to ruling out other osseous causes of pain. In this study 106 (27 plantar fasciitis (PF) and 79 controls) plain non-weight bearing lateral X-rays were examined by a blind examiner to document the key features of the lateral X-ray between images of individuals with and without plantar fasciitis. As expected calcaneal spurs were observed in both groups (85% PF and 46% controls). However, plantar fascia thickness and fat pad abnormalities resulted in the best group differentiation (p<0.0001) with sensitivity of 85% and specificity of 95% for plantar fasciitis. It was concluded that the key radiological features that differentiate the groups were not spurs but rather changes in the soft tissues. If it is deemed necessary to confirm the diagnosis of typical plantar fasciitis with imaging, a lateral non-weight bearing X-ray should be the first choice investigation especially if these key features are noted.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.