PainSci summary of Oppel 2000?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible.
A strong critical response to Preyde, pointing out serious flaws that negate the seemingly positive results. Some of the same criticisms are also perfectly applicable to the much more influential 2011 trial of massage for back pain by Cherkin et al.
- “A review of the evidence for the effectiveness, safety, and cost of acupuncture, massage therapy, and spinal manipulation for back pain,” Daniel C Cherkin, Karen J Sherman, Richard A Deyo, and Paul G Shekelle, Annals of Internal Medicine, 2003.
Oppel 2000 is about:
- Does Massage Therapy Work? — A review of the science of massage therapy … such as it is
- Save Yourself from Low Back Pain! — Low back pain myths debunked and all your treatment options reviewed
- Massage Therapy Kinda, Sorta Works for Back Pain — It works, but not very well, and “advanced” techniques are no better than relaxation massage
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.