Two articles on PainSci cite Olerud 1976: 1. A Deep Dive into Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness 2. Poisoned by Massage
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
This study was conducted to determine, on a prospective basis, the incidence of acute exertional rhabdomyolysis (AER) among recruits at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. Blood samples were taken from each of 337 volunteer recruits on each of their first six days of regularly scheduled training. Serum myoglobin, serum creatine phosphokinase, lactic dehydrogenase, and serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase values were used as indicators of muscle injury. Substantial elevations of serum enzyme activity were observed throughout the study population. Of the study population, 39.2% had serum myoglobin levels that ranged from 0.37 mug/ml to 21.9 mug/ml during the study interval. Six subjects had serum myoglobin levels consistent with those reported in clinical cases of AER. It is concluded that, in a recruit population, large numbers of men may have myoglobinemia but not be seen initially as clinical cases.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.