original abstract†Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
This study was conducted to determine, on a prospective basis, the incidence of acute exertional rhabdomyolysis (AER) among recruits at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. Blood samples were taken from each of 337 volunteer recruits on each of their first six days of regularly scheduled training. Serum myoglobin, serum creatine phosphokinase, lactic dehydrogenase, and serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase values were used as indicators of muscle injury. Substantial elevations of serum enzyme activity were observed throughout the study population. Of the study population, 39.2% had serum myoglobin levels that ranged from 0.37 mug/ml to 21.9 mug/ml during the study interval. Six subjects had serum myoglobin levels consistent with those reported in clinical cases of AER. It is concluded that, in a recruit population, large numbers of men may have myoglobinemia but not be seen initially as clinical cases.
These two articles on PainScience.com cite Olerud 1976 as a source:
- PS Post-Exercise, Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness — The biology & treatment of “muscle fever,” the deep muscle soreness that surges 24-48 hours after an unfamiliar workout intensity
- PS Poisoned by Massage — Rather than being DE-toxifying, deep tissue massage can probably cause a slightly toxic situation in the body
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- Association of Spinal Manipulative Therapy With Clinical Benefit and Harm for Acute Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Paige 2017 JAMA.
- Incidence of Spontaneous Resorption of Lumbar Disc Herniation: A Meta-Analysis. Zhong 2017 Pain Physician.
- How much is too much? (Part 1) International Olympic Committee consensus statement on load in sport and risk of injury. Soligard 2016 Br J Sports Med.
- Chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy for migraine: a three-armed, single-blinded, placebo, randomized controlled trial. Chaibi 2016 Eur J Neurol.