Two articles on PainSci cite Olerud 1976: 1. A Deep Dive into Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness 2. Poisoned by Massage
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
This study was conducted to determine, on a prospective basis, the incidence of acute exertional rhabdomyolysis (AER) among recruits at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. Blood samples were taken from each of 337 volunteer recruits on each of their first six days of regularly scheduled training. Serum myoglobin, serum creatine phosphokinase, lactic dehydrogenase, and serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase values were used as indicators of muscle injury. Substantial elevations of serum enzyme activity were observed throughout the study population. Of the study population, 39.2% had serum myoglobin levels that ranged from 0.37 mug/ml to 21.9 mug/ml during the study interval. Six subjects had serum myoglobin levels consistent with those reported in clinical cases of AER. It is concluded that, in a recruit population, large numbers of men may have myoglobinemia but not be seen initially as clinical cases.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.