Two articles on PainSci cite Moldofsky 1976: (1) The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain (2) Insomnia Until it Hurts
PainSci summary of Moldofsky 1976: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible.
From the abstract: “The stage 4 deprived group reported more musculoskeletal symptoms during the deprivation condition than did the REM deprived group. The stage 4 deprived group also showed a significant increase in muscle tenderness between the baseline and deprivation conditions and an altered pattern of overnight change in muscle tenderness in response to deprivation.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Two groups of young, healthy, nonathletic volunteers were subjected to selective sleep stage deprivation. Six subjects were deprived of stage 4 sleep and seven subjects of REM sleep. The stage 4 deprived group reported more musculoskeletal symptoms during the deprivation condition than did the REM deprived group. The stage 4 deprived group also showed a significant increase in muscle tenderness between the baseline and deprivation conditions and an altered pattern of overnight change in muscle tenderness in response to deprivation. The REM deprived group did not show either of these changes. These results are discussed in the light of the previously postulated relationship between NREM sleep disturbance and muscoloskeletal pain in patients with so-called "Fibrositis syndrome."
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.