open in this window or new window
In one of the most comprehensive studies of recent research on the health effects of recreational and therapeutic cannabis use, a new report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine offers a rigorous review of relevant scientific research published since 1999. This report summarizes the current state of evidence regarding what is known about the health impacts of cannabis and cannabis-derived products, including effects related to therapeutic uses of cannabis and potential health risks related to certain cancers, diseases, mental health disorders, and injuries. Areas in need of additional research and current barriers to conducting cannabis research are also covered in this comprehensive report.
A massive review of the scientific literature on pot concluding that there is “substantial evidence that cannabis is an effective treatment for chronic pain in adults,” but the evidence shows only modest benefits so far, and there is uncertainty about every detail: “very little is known about the efficacy, dose, routes of administration, or side effects of commonly used and commercially available cannabis products.”
Other reviews are much less encouraging (see Nugent 2017, Häuser 2019).
~ Paul Ingraham, PainSci Publisher
About this item:
Closely related items:
- “Cannabis for the Management of Pain: Assessment of Safety Study (COMPASS),” Ware et al, Journal of Pain, 2015.
- “The Effects of Cannabis Among Adults With Chronic Pain and an Overview of General Harms: A Systematic Review,” Nugent et al, Annals of Internal Medicine, 2017.
- “[Evidence of the efficacy and safety of cannabis medicines for chronic pain management: A methodological minefield],” Häuser et al, Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz, 2019.
These seven articles on PainScience.com cite this item as a source:
- Pain & Injury Survival Tips
- The Complete Guide to Low Back Pain
- The Complete Guide to Chronic Tension Headaches
- The Complete Guide to Neck Pain & Cricks
- Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
- A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia
- Marijuana for Pain