Two articles on PainSci cite Mirzabeigi 1999: 1. The Complete Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome 2. Patellofemoral Pain & the Vastus Medialis Myth
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The purpose of this study was to selectively challenge the vastus medialis oblique muscle in comparison with the vastus lateralis, the vastus intermedius, and the vastus medialis longus muscles by performing nine sets of strengthening exercises. These knee rehabilitation exercise included isometric knee extension with the hip at neutral, 30 degrees external, and 30 degrees internal rotation; isokinetic knee extension through full range; isokinetic knee extension in the terminal 30 degrees arc; sidelying ipsilateral and contralateral full knee extension; and stand and jump from full squat. Electrical activity of the vastus medialis oblique, the vastus lateralis, the vastus intermedius, and the vastus medialis longus muscles was measured in eight uninjured subjects. Our study showed that isometric exercises in neutral and external rotation of the hip will challenge both the vastus medialis oblique and the vastus lateralis muscles. The results suggest that the electromyographic activity of the vastus medialis oblique muscle was not significantly greater than that of the vastus lateralis, the vastus intermedius, and the vastus medialis longus muscles during the nine sets of exercises. Results suggest that the vastus medialis oblique muscle cannot be significantly isolated during these exercises.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.