One article on PainSci cites Merimee 1969: Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements for Pain & Healing
PainSci notes on Merimee 1969:
Some ancient, basic physiology science demonstrating that arginine supplementation may stimulated production of growth hormone — which is still used by as a rationale for arginine supplementation for bodybuilders to this day.
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
To improve the usefulness of testing pituitary function by the response of human growth hormone (HGH) to I.V. arginine loads, arginine infusions were given under a variety of conditions to healthy subjects aged 17 to 35. The minimum effective arginine load causing release of HGH was 1/6 gm per pound of body weight in men and 1/12 gm per pound of body weight in women. At each of three dosage schedules used, women responded with greater increases in plasma HGH than men. Treatment of men with diethylstilbestrol augmented their HGH response to arginine, whereas methyltestosterone pretreatment did not decrease the response in women. The HGH response to arginine was not abolished by acute hyperglycemia but was attenuated or delayed by a previous stimulus for HGH release.
In the use of this test of pituitary function, it is necessary to use a proper dose of arginine, to avoid other stimuli of HGH release, and to pretreat men with estrogens.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- No long-term effects after a three-week open-label placebo treatment for chronic low back pain: a three-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Kleine-Borgmann 2022 Pain.
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.