One article on PainSci cites Merimee 1969: Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements for Pain & Healing
PainSci notes on Merimee 1969:
Some ancient, basic physiology science demonstrating that arginine supplementation may stimulated production of growth hormone — which is still used by as a rationale for arginine supplementation for bodybuilders to this day.
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
To improve the usefulness of testing pituitary function by the response of human growth hormone (HGH) to I.V. arginine loads, arginine infusions were given under a variety of conditions to healthy subjects aged 17 to 35. The minimum effective arginine load causing release of HGH was 1/6 gm per pound of body weight in men and 1/12 gm per pound of body weight in women. At each of three dosage schedules used, women responded with greater increases in plasma HGH than men. Treatment of men with diethylstilbestrol augmented their HGH response to arginine, whereas methyltestosterone pretreatment did not decrease the response in women. The HGH response to arginine was not abolished by acute hyperglycemia but was attenuated or delayed by a previous stimulus for HGH release.
In the use of this test of pituitary function, it is necessary to use a proper dose of arginine, to avoid other stimuli of HGH release, and to pretreat men with estrogens.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.