One article on PainSci cites Meerveld 2018: Sensitization in Chronic Pain
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Evidence suggests that long-term stress facilitates visceral pain through sensitization of pain pathways and promotes chronic visceral pain disorders such as the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This review will describe the importance of stress in exacerbating IBS-induced abdominal pain. Additionally, we will briefly review our understanding of the activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis by both chronic adult stress and following early life stress in the pathogenesis of IBS. The review will focus on the glucocorticoid receptor and corticotropin-releasing hormone-mediated mechanisms in the amygdala involved in stress-induced visceral hypersensitivity. One potential mechanism underlying persistent effects of stress on visceral sensitivity could be epigenetic modulation of gene expression. While there are relatively few studies examining epigenetically mediated mechanisms involved in stress-induced visceral nociception, alterations in DNA methylation and histone acetylation patterns within the brain, have been linked to alterations in nociceptive signaling via increased expression of pro-nociceptive neurotransmitters. This review will discuss the latest studies investigating the long-term effects of stress on visceral sensitivity. Additionally, we will critically review the importance of experimental models of adult stress and early life stress in enhancing our understanding of the basic molecular mechanisms of nociceptive processing.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.