One article on PainSci cites Martens 1989: The Complete Guide to IT Band Syndrome
PainSci notes on Martens 1989:
From the abstract: “ … good results, low morbidity, and quick return to sports demonstrate that this type of surgery offers a solution for selected cases of failed prolonged conservative treatment.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
A selected group of 23 patients underwent surgery for iliotibial band friction syndrome. Among the patients presenting with this exertional pain syndrome were runners, football players, and cyclists. Diagnosis was clinical since radiographs were negative and an ultrasound examination was positive in only one case, showing an aberrant picture around the lateral femoral epicondyle. Although conservative treatment is effective in most cases, an alternative is needed for patients with complaints that are resistant to conservative means. Surgery was done with the knee held in 60 degrees of flexion and consisted of a limited resection of a small triangular piece at the posterior part of the iliotibial band covering the lateral femoral epicondyle. The uniform good results, low morbidity, and quick return to sports demonstrate that this type of surgery offers a solution for selected cases of failed prolonged conservative treatment.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.