One article on PainSci cites Martens 1989: The Complete Guide to IT Band Syndrome
PainSci notes on Martens 1989:
From the abstract: “ … good results, low morbidity, and quick return to sports demonstrate that this type of surgery offers a solution for selected cases of failed prolonged conservative treatment.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
A selected group of 23 patients underwent surgery for iliotibial band friction syndrome. Among the patients presenting with this exertional pain syndrome were runners, football players, and cyclists. Diagnosis was clinical since radiographs were negative and an ultrasound examination was positive in only one case, showing an aberrant picture around the lateral femoral epicondyle. Although conservative treatment is effective in most cases, an alternative is needed for patients with complaints that are resistant to conservative means. Surgery was done with the knee held in 60 degrees of flexion and consisted of a limited resection of a small triangular piece at the posterior part of the iliotibial band covering the lateral femoral epicondyle. The uniform good results, low morbidity, and quick return to sports demonstrate that this type of surgery offers a solution for selected cases of failed prolonged conservative treatment.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.