Two articles on PainSci cite Mammen 2016: 1. The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain 2. 34 Surprising Causes of Pain
PainSci notes on Mammen 2016:
A good review of the phenomenon of muscle pain caused by statins, the popular and important drugs we take to lower cholesterol. For more information, see Dr. Harriet Hall’s reporting on the paper, or my summary of the issue in 34 Surprising Causes of Pain.
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Statins are widely used and lower the risk of death from cardiovascular causes. In a fraction of patients, an autoimmune myopathy may develop, characterized by the development of autoantibodies to the target enzyme, HMG-CoA reductase.
- “Statin Therapy: Risks vs Benefit: An Expert Interview With Eliot A. Brinton, MD,” Linda Brookes, Medscape CME.
- “Effects of Statins on Skeletal Muscle: A Perspective for Physical Therapists,” Stephanie L Di Stasi, Toran D Macleod, Joshua D Winters, and Stuart A Binder-Macleod, Physical Therapy, 2010.
- “A systematic review of statin-induced muscle problems in clinical trials,” Harsha V Ganga, Hanna B Slim, and Paul D Thompson, Am Heart J, 2014.
Specifically regarding Mammen 2016:
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.