One article on PainSci cites Ma 2022: Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements for Pain & Healing
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Gut microbiota has been found involved in neuronal functions and neurological disorders. Whether and how gut microbiota impacts chronic somatic pain disorders remain elusive. METHODS: Neuropathic pain was produced by different forms of injury or diseases, the chronic constriction injury (CCI) of the sciatic nerves, oxaliplatin (OXA) chemotherapy, and streptozocin (STZ)-induced diabetes in mice. Continuous feeding of antibiotics (ABX) cocktail was used to cause major depletion of the gut microbiota. Fecal microbiota, biochemical changes in the spinal cord and dorsal root ganglion (DRG), and the behaviorally expressed painful syndromes were assessed. RESULTS: Under condition of gut microbiota depletion, CCI, OXA, or STZ treatment-induced thermal hyperalgesia or mechanical allodynia were prevented or completely suppressed. Gut microbiota depletion also prevented CCI or STZ treatment-induced glial cell activation in the spinal cord and inhibited cytokine production in DRG in OXA model. Interestingly, STZ treatment failed to induce the diabetic high blood glucose and painful hypersensitivity in animals with the gut microbiota depletion. ABX feeding starting simultaneously with CCI, OXA, or STZ treatment resulted in instant analgesia in all the animals. ABX feeding starting after establishment of the neuropathic pain in CCI- and STZ-, but not OXA-treated animals produced significant alleviation of the thermal hyeralgesia or mechanical allodynia. Transplantation of fecal bacteria from SPF mice to ABX-treated mice partially restored the gut microbiota and fully rescued the behaviorally expressed neuropathic pain, of which, Akkermansia, Bacteroides, and Desulfovibrionaceae phylus may play a key role. CONCLUSION: This study demonstrates distinct roles of gut microbiota in the pathogenesis of chronic painful conditions with nerve injury, chemotherapy and diabetic neuropathy and supports the clinical significance of fecal bacteria transplantation.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- No long-term effects after a three-week open-label placebo treatment for chronic low back pain: a three-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Kleine-Borgmann 2022 Pain.
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.