Volumetric change in the shoulder capsule after open inferior capsular shift versus arthroscopic thermal capsular shrinkage: a cadaveric model
One article on PainSci cites Luke 2004: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The purpose of this study was to compare the percentage of glenohumeral intracapsular volume reduction after open inferior capsular shift and arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy. Twelve matched, fresh-frozen cadaveric shoulders were used for the study. Intraarticular glenohumeral volume measurements were obtained by injecting a viscous fatty acid sulfate solution into the joint. In the 6 right shoulders, a standard anterior-inferior capsular shift was performed, and in the 6 matching left shoulders, an arthroscopic thermal capsular shrinkage was performed. After the procedures, the capsular volumes were re-measured. The open inferior shift procedure resulted in a mean decrease in glenohumeral volume of 50.2% (range, 43%-56%). Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy decreased shoulder intraarticular volume by a mean of 29.7% (range, 26%-36%). Both the open capsular shift and arthroscopic thermal shrinkage procedures produced well-documented volumetric reductions in the shoulder capsules. The open shift reduced intraarticular shoulder volume significantly more than arthroscopic thermal capsular shrinkage.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.