One article on PainSci cites Luke 2004: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The purpose of this study was to compare the percentage of glenohumeral intracapsular volume reduction after open inferior capsular shift and arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy. Twelve matched, fresh-frozen cadaveric shoulders were used for the study. Intraarticular glenohumeral volume measurements were obtained by injecting a viscous fatty acid sulfate solution into the joint. In the 6 right shoulders, a standard anterior-inferior capsular shift was performed, and in the 6 matching left shoulders, an arthroscopic thermal capsular shrinkage was performed. After the procedures, the capsular volumes were re-measured. The open inferior shift procedure resulted in a mean decrease in glenohumeral volume of 50.2% (range, 43%-56%). Arthroscopic thermal capsulorrhaphy decreased shoulder intraarticular volume by a mean of 29.7% (range, 26%-36%). Both the open capsular shift and arthroscopic thermal shrinkage procedures produced well-documented volumetric reductions in the shoulder capsules. The open shift reduced intraarticular shoulder volume significantly more than arthroscopic thermal capsular shrinkage.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Sudden amnesia resulting in pain relief: the relationship between memory and pain. Choi 2007 Pain.