Three articles on PainSci cite Louw 2014: 1. The Complete Guide to IT Band Syndrome 2. Shin Splints Treatment, The Complete Guide 3. Does Hip Strengthening Work for IT Band Syndrome?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The aim of this literature review was to identify the biomechanical variables involved in the aetiology of iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) in distance runners. An electronic search was conducted using the terms "iliotibial band" and "iliotibial tract". The results showed that runners with a history of ITBS appear to display decreased rear foot eversion, tibial internal rotation and hip adduction angles at heel strike while having greater maximum internal rotation angles at the knee and decreased total abduction and adduction range of motion at the hip during stance phase. They further appear to experience greater invertor moments at their feet, decreased abduction and flexion velocities at their hips and to reach maximum hip flexion angles earlier than healthy controls. Maximum normalised braking forces seem to be decreased in these athletes. The literature is inconclusive with regards to muscle strength deficits in runners with a history of ITBS. Prospective research suggested that greater internal rotation at the knee joint and increased adduction angles of the hip may play a role in the aetiology of ITBS and that the strain rate in the iliotibial bands of these runners may be increased compared to healthy controls. A clear biomechanical cause for ITBS could not be devised due to the lack of prospective research.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.