original abstract†Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the sonographic findings of the rotator interval in patients with clinical evidence of adhesive capsulitis immediately prior to arthroscopy. DESIGN AND PATIENTS: We prospectively compared 30 patients with clinically diagnosed adhesive capsulitis (20 females, 10 males, mean age 50 years) with a control population of 10 normal volunteers and 100 patients with a clinical suspicion of rotator cuff tears. Grey-scale and colour Doppler sonography of the rotator interval were used. RESULTS: Twenty-six patients (87%) demonstrated hypoechoic echotexture and increased vascularity within the rotator interval, all of whom had had symptoms for less than 1 year. Three patients had hypoechoic echotexture but no increase in vascularity, and one patient had a normal sonographic appearance. All patients were shown to have fibrovascular inflammatory soft-tissue changes in the rotator interval at arthroscopy commensurate with adhesive capsulitis. None of the volunteers or the patients with a clinical diagnosis of rotator cuff tear showed such changes. CONCLUSIONS: Sonography can provide an early accurate diagnosis of adhesive capsulitis by assessing the rotator interval for hypoechoic vascular soft tissue.
One article on PainScience.com cites Lee 2005 as a source:
- PS Frozen Shoulder Guide — An extremely detailed & readable guide to one of the strangest of all common musculoskeletal problems, for both patients and pros
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.
- Association of Spinal Manipulative Therapy With Clinical Benefit and Harm for Acute Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Paige 2017 JAMA.