One article on PainSci cites Landau 2012: Poisoned by Massage
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
In this review, the clinical and laboratory features of exertional rhabdomyolysis (ER) are discussed in detail, emphasizing the full clinical spectrum from physiological elevations of serum creatine kinase after exertion to life-threatening rhabdomyolysis with acute kidney injury and associated systemic complications. Laboratory markers used to diagnose both ER and rhabdomyolysis are very sensitive, but not very specific, and imperfectly distinguish "subclinical" or asymptomatic from severe, life-threatening illness. However, genetic factors, both recognized and yet to be discovered, likely influence this diverse clinical spectrum of disease and response to exercise. Genetic mutations causative for McArdle disease, carnitine palmitoyl transferase deficiency 2, myoadenylate deaminase deficiency, and malignant hyperthermia have all been associated with ER. Polymorphic variations in the myosin light chain kinase, α-actin 3, creatine kinase-muscle isoform, angiotensin I-converting enzyme, heat shock protein, and interleukin-6 genes have also been associated with either ER or exercise-induced serum creatine kinase elevations typical of ER. The prognosis for ER is significantly better than that for other etiologies of rhabdomyolysis, but the risk of recurrence after an initial episode is unknown. Guidelines for management are provided.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.