One article on PainSci cites Ketelhut 2023: Whole Body Cryotherapy for Pain
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The Wim Hof method (WHM) is a multi-disciplinary approach to physical and mental well-being combining cold exposure, breathing exercises, and meditation. This study evaluated the effects of a 15 days WHM intervention on cardiovascular parameters at rest and during a cold pressor test (CPT), as well as on various psychological parameters. Forty two participants were randomized into an intervention (IG) and a control group. Throughout the 15 days intervention, the IG performed the WHM daily. Before and after the intervention, systolic (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP), pulse wave velocity (PWV), heart rate (HR), root mean sum of squared distance (RMSSD), and standard deviation of RR-intervals (SDNN) were assessed at rest and during a CPT. Furthermore, perceived stress (PSS), positive affect (PANAS+), negative affect (PANAS−), and subjective vitality (trait (SVSt) and state (SVSs)) was determined. No significant time × group interactions could be detected in HR ( p = 0.709); RMSSD ( p = 0.820), SDNN ( p = 0.186), SBP ( p = 0.839), DBP ( p = 0.318), PWV ( p = 0.983), PANAS+ ( p = 0.427), PANAS− ( p = 0.614), SVSt ( p = 0.760), SVSs ( p = 0.366), and PSS ( p = 0.364). No significant time × group effects could be detected during the CPT (ΔHR: p = 0.596; ΔSBP: p = 0.366; ΔDBP: p = 0.999; ΔPWV: p = 0.635; perceived pain: p = 0.231). Performing the WHM daily did not exert positive effects on cardiovascular and psychological parameters.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) products for pain: ineffective, expensive, and with potential harms. Moore 2023 J Pain.
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.