One article on PainSci cites Homsi 2006: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
OBJECTIVE: To determine the accessibility of the coracohumeral ligament (CHL) by ultrasound (US) and to determine CHL thickness in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder.
DESIGN AND PATIENTS: US examinations were carried out in 498 consecutive shoulders of 306 individuals (194 women and 112 men), mean age 47.4 years (range 15-92 years), in order to identify and measure the maximum thickness of the CHL. The patients were divided into three study groups: asymptomatic shoulders (n=121), painful shoulders (n=360) and shoulders with arthrographic evidence of adhesive capsulitis (n=17). The mean maximal thickness of CHL was compared among the 3 study groups (non-parametric test of Kruskal-Wallis, p<0.05).
RESULTS: The CHL was visualized in 92 out of 121 shoulders in the asymptomatic group (76.0%), in 227 out of 360 shoulders in the painful shoulder group (63.0%), and in 15 out of 17 shoulders in the adhesive capsulitis group (88.2%). The average thickness of the CHL was significantly greater in adhesive capsulitis (3 mm) than in the asymptomatic (1.34 mm) and painful (1.39 mm) shoulders. No significant difference was found between asymptomatic and painful shoulders.
CONCLUSION: CHL depiction can be achieved in a reasonable proportion of shoulders. A thickened CHL is suggestive of adhesive capsulitis. More studies are needed for clinical validation of these data.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.