Sub-acute hypersensitive reaction to botulinum toxin type A following Covid-19 vaccination: Case report and literature review
One article on PainSci cites Guo 2021: Cramps, Spasms, Tremors & Twitches
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
RATIONALE: Botulinum toxin type A (BTA) is one of the most widely used injectable agents in cosmetic surgery. Corona virus disease 2019 (Covid-19) infection and vaccination, which can induce specific and nonspecific activation of the immune system, has been reported to induce delayed inflammatory reactions to previously injected hyaluronic acid fillers. However, there are no reports about the interaction between BTA and Covid-19. We aimed to report 2 sub-acute cases of allergic reactions to BTA in facial cosmesis following the Covid-19 vaccination. PATIENT CONCERN: A 35-year-old and a 34-year-old female who has several previous BTA injections without any adverse effects experienced facial swelling, flu-like symptoms after BTA treatment following the Covid-19 vaccination. DIAGNOSE: According to the typical clinical manifestation, a hypersensitive reaction to BTA was considered. INTERVENTION: Corticosteroids and antihistamine were administered empirically. OUTCOMES: The flu-like symptoms recovered over the next day, but the facial swelling gradually faded within 1 to 2 weeks. LESSONS: A literature review was also conducted to summarize the hypersensitive actions to cosmesis related to Covid-19. We recommend BTA injection be administered at least 2 to 3 months after Covid-19 vaccination.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- No long-term effects after a three-week open-label placebo treatment for chronic low back pain: a three-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Kleine-Borgmann 2022 Pain.