One article on PainSci cites Garden 1961: Tennis Elbow Guide
PainSci commentary on Garden 1961: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided wherever possible.
An old paper by the late, great British surgeon RS Garden, who reported that the results of surgery for tennis elbow were such that “no patient failed to benefit in some way from the operation.” This paper is mostly included in my bibliography as a fine historical example of overconfidence about surgery. See Kroslak.
~ Paul Ingraham
- “Extensor tendon release in tennis elbow: results and prognostic factors in 80 elbows,” Eirik Solheim, Janne Hegna, and Jannike Øyen, Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 2011.
Specifically regarding Garden 1961:
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Exercise and education versus saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Bandak 2022 Ann Rheum Dis.
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Sudden amnesia resulting in pain relief: the relationship between memory and pain. Choi 2007 Pain.