PainSci summary of Garden 1961?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible. ★★☆☆☆2-star ratings are for studies with flaws, bias, and/or conflict of interest; published in lesser journals. Ratings are a highly subjective opinion, and subject to revision at any time. If you think this paper has been incorrectly rated, please let me know.
An old paper by the late, great British surgeon RS Garden, who reported that the results of surgery for tennis elbow were such that “no patient failed to benefit in some way from the operation.” This paper is mostly included in my bibliography as a fine historical example of overconfidence about surgery. See Kroslak.
- “Extensor tendon release in tennis elbow: results and prognostic factors in 80 elbows,” Eirik Solheim, Janne Hegna, and Jannike Øyen, Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 2011.
Specifically regarding Garden 1961:
One article on PainScience.com cites Garden 1961 as a source:
- PS Save Yourself from Tennis Elbow! — Not just for tennis players, straight-talking advice on healing from this common tendinitis (lateral epicondylitis)
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.