One article on PainSci cites Galvez-Sánchez 2020: A Rational Guide to Fibromyalgia
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a chronic illness characterized by widespread pain and other clinical and emotional symptoms. The lack of objective markers of the illness has been a persistent problem in FMS research, clinical management, and social recognition of the disease. A critical historical revision of diagnostic criteria for FMS, especially those formulated by the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), was performed. This narrative review has been structured as follows: Introduction; historical background of FMS, including studies proposing and revising the diagnostic criteria; the process of development of the ACR FMS diagnostic criteria (1990 and 2010 versions); revisions of the 2010 ACR FMS diagnostic criteria; the development of scales based on the 2010 and 2011 criteria, which could help with diagnosis and evaluation of the clinical severity of the disease, such as the Polysymptomatic Distress Scale and the FMS Survey Questionnaire; relationships of prevalence and sex ratio with the different diagnostic criteria; validity and diagnostic accuracy of the ACR FMS criteria; the issues of differential diagnosis and comorbidity; the strength and main limitations of the ACR FMS criteria; new perspectives regarding FMS diagnosis; and the impact of the novel findings in the diagnosis of FMS. It is concluded that despite the official 2010 FMS diagnostic criteria and the diagnostic proposal of 2011 and 2016, complaints from health professionals and patients continue.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.