One article on PainSci cites Fishco 2000: Complete Guide to Plantar Fasciitis
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
A retrospective study was conducted on the use of the instep plantar fasciotomy for the treatment of recalcitrant plantar fasciitis. A total of 83 patients (94 feet) were analyzed. The average postoperative follow-up time was 20.9 months. Surgery was deemed successful 93.6% of the time, and in 95.7% of cases, the patient would recommend the procedure to someone with the same condition. The main complications were scarring (9.6%), medial arch or heel pain (7.5%), cramping in the arch (6.4%), lateral column pain (5.3%), aching or pain across the dorsal midfoot (5.3%), and burning or tingling of the ball of the foot (5.3%).
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.