Sexual excitement and stretching and yawning induced by B-HT 920
One article on PainSci cites Ferrari 1985: Does pandiculation “reset” muscle tone?
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
The azepine derivative B-HT 920, a putative agonist at dopamine (DA) autoreceptors, injected IP in adult male rats, induced numerous penile erections (PE) and stretching and yawning (SY), considered typical signs of central DA receptor stimulation, without eliciting stereotyped behaviour (SB). Both signs induced by B-HT 920 were dose related and significantly enhanced with respect to controls from 10 to 1,000/micrograms/kg. Pretreatment with the neuroleptics haloperidol (0.025, 0.5 and 1 mg/Kg IP), sulpiride (20 and 40 mg/Kg) and alpha 2-antagonist yohimbine (1 and 3 mg/Kg IP) antagonized the behavioural effect of B-HT 920 whereas the alpha 1-antagonist prazosin (1 mg/Kg IP) had no effect on the response. The impressive activity of B-HT 920 in producing SY and PE, along with its inability to evoke SB, supports the role of DA autoreceptors in the regulation of SY and sexual behaviour.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.