One article on PainSci cites Fausone 2022: You Might Just Be Weird
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
BACKGROUND: Some manual therapy schools of thought rely on palpation of vertebral position via bony processes prior to the application of directional manual interventions. It is feasible that malformation or asymmetry of the spinous processes (SPs) or transverse processes (TPs), if unknown, may influence the outcome of a diagnostic palpatory exam and the application of directional manual interventions. This study provides morphometric data for the lumbar spine, to assess the occurrence of length differences in lumbar SPs and TPs occurring between the right and left sides.
METHODS: The lumbar processes were measured bilaterally in 16 adult cadaveric specimens, 9 females and 7 males ranging in age from 68 to 89 years. A measurable difference in SP length, defined as ≥ 0.1 cm, was found in 72.4% of the population, and for TP lengthin 90.6% of the population. A mean SP length difference of 0.2 ± 0.2 cm and a mean TP length difference of 0.4 ± 0.3 cm were observed. Process length was longer on average for males, and the magnitude of process length difference increased with age.
CONCLUSION: These results indicate that a finding of a clinical positional fault of a vertebra through palpatory exam may be flawed.
- “Variation in pelvic morphology may prevent the identification of anterior pelvic tilt,” Preece et al, Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy, 2008.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.