One article on PainSci cites Ernst 1998: A Deep Dive into Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness
PainSci notes on Ernst 1998:
From the article: “An effective treatment has been sought for many years … to date, none of these approaches has been fully convincing.”
- “Massage therapy attenuates inflammatory signaling after exercise-induced muscle damage,” Justin D Crane, Daniel I Ogborn, Colleen Cupido, Simon Melov, Alan Hubbard, Jacqueline M Bourgeois, and Mark A Tarnopolsky, Science Translational Medicine, 2012.
- Massage Does Not Reduce Inflammation — The making of a new massage myth from a high-tech study of muscle samples after intense exercise
- “Effectiveness of sports massage for recovery of skeletal muscle from strenuous exercise,” Thomas M Best, Robin Hunter, Aaron Wilcox, and Furqan Haq, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 2008.
- “Ice massage. Effects on exercise-induced muscle damage,” G Howatson and K A Van Someren, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2003.
- “Treatment and prevention of delayed onset muscle soreness,” DA Connolly, SP Sayers, and MP McHugh, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 2003.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Association of Lumbar MRI Findings with Current and Future Back Pain in a Population-based Cohort Study. Kasch 2022 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- A double-blinded randomised controlled study of the value of sequential intravenous and oral magnesium therapy in patients with chronic low back pain with a neuropathic component. Yousef 2013 Anaesthesia.
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Sudden amnesia resulting in pain relief: the relationship between memory and pain. Choi 2007 Pain.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.