PainSci summary of Ernst 1998?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible. ★★★☆☆3-star ratings are for typical studies with no more (or less) than the usual common problems. Ratings are a highly subjective opinion, and subject to revision at any time. If you think this paper has been incorrectly rated, please let me know.
From the article: “An effective treatment has been sought for many years … to date, none of these approaches has been fully convincing.”
- “Massage therapy attenuates inflammatory signaling after exercise-induced muscle damage,” Justin D Crane, Daniel I Ogborn, Colleen Cupido, Simon Melov, Alan Hubbard, Jacqueline M Bourgeois, and Mark A Tarnopolsky, Science Translational Medicine, 2012.
- PS Massage Does Not Reduce Inflammation — The making of a new massage myth from a high-tech study of muscle samples after intense exercise
- “Effectiveness of sports massage for recovery of skeletal muscle from strenuous exercise,” Thomas M Best, Robin Hunter, Aaron Wilcox, and Furqan Haq, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 2008.
- “Ice massage. Effects on exercise-induced muscle damage,” G Howatson and K A Van Someren, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2003.
- “Treatment and prevention of delayed onset muscle soreness,” DA Connolly, SP Sayers, and MP McHugh, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 2003.
One article on PainScience.com cites Ernst 1998 as a source:
- PS Post-Exercise, Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness — The biology & treatment of “muscle fever,” the deep muscle soreness that surges 24-48 hours after an unfamiliar workout intensity
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.