One article on PainSci cites Ernst 1998: Post-Exercise, Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness
PainSci notes on Ernst 1998:
From the article: “An effective treatment has been sought for many years … to date, none of these approaches has been fully convincing.”
- “Massage therapy attenuates inflammatory signaling after exercise-induced muscle damage,” Justin D Crane, Daniel I Ogborn, Colleen Cupido, Simon Melov, Alan Hubbard, Jacqueline M Bourgeois, and Mark A Tarnopolsky, Science Translational Medicine, 2012.
- Massage Does Not Reduce Inflammation — The making of a new massage myth from a high-tech study of muscle samples after intense exercise
- “Effectiveness of sports massage for recovery of skeletal muscle from strenuous exercise,” Thomas M Best, Robin Hunter, Aaron Wilcox, and Furqan Haq, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 2008.
- “Ice massage. Effects on exercise-induced muscle damage,” G Howatson and K A Van Someren, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2003.
- “Treatment and prevention of delayed onset muscle soreness,” DA Connolly, SP Sayers, and MP McHugh, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 2003.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.
- Modulation in the elastic properties of gastrocnemius muscle heads in individuals with plantar fasciitis and its relationship with pain. Zhou 2020 Sci Rep.
- Association Between Plantar Fasciitis and Isolated Gastrocnemius Tightness. Nakale 2018 Foot Ankle Int.
- No Added Benefit of Combining Dry Needling With Guideline-Based Physical Therapy When Managing Chronic Neck Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Stieven 2020 J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.