Two articles on PainSci cite Deyo 1993: 1. Does Massage Therapy Work? 2. Complete Guide to Low Back Pain
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Regional variations in lumbar spinal fusion rates suggest a poor consensus on surgical indications. Therefore, complications, costs, and reoperation rates were compared for elderly patients undergoing surgery with or without spinal fusion. Subjects were Medicare recipients who underwent surgery in 1985, with 4 years of subsequent follow-up. There were 27,111 eligible patients, of whom 5.6% had fusions. Mean age was 72 years. Patients undergoing fusion had a complication rate 1.9 times greater than those who had surgery without fusion. The blood transfusion rate was 5.8 times greater, nursing home placement rate 2.2 times greater, and hospital charges 1.5 times higher (all P < 0.0005). Six-week mortality was 2.0 times greater for patients undergoing fusions (P = 0.025). Reoperation rates at 4 years were no lower for patients who had fusion surgery and results were similar in most diagnostic subgroups. Indications for fusion among older patients require better definition, preferably based on outcomes from prospective controlled studies.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.