original abstract†Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: In contrast to well-established relationships between headache and affective disorders, the role of alcohol use in primary headache disorders is less clear. This paper provides a narrative overview of research on alcohol use disorders (AUDs) in primary headache and presents a meta-analysis of the role of alcohol as a trigger (precipitant) of headache.
RECENT FINDINGS: The majority of studies on AUDs in headache have failed to find evidence that migraine or tension-type headache (TTH) is associated with increased risk for AUDs or problematic alcohol use. The meta-analysis indicated that 22% (95% CI: 17-29%) of individuals with primary headache endorsed alcohol as a trigger. No differences were found between individuals with migraine (with or without aura) or TTH. Odds of endorsing red wine as a trigger were over 3 times greater than odds of endorsing beer. An absence of increased risk for AUDs among those with primary headache may be attributable to alcohol's role in precipitating headache attacks for some susceptible individuals. Roughly one fifth of headache sufferers believe alcohol precipitates at least some of their attacks. Considerable study heterogeneity limits fine-grained comparisons across studies and suggests needs for more standardized methods for studying alcohol-headache relationships and rigorous experimental designs.
- “Headache and Alcohol,” Aud Nome Dueland, Headache, 2015.
- “Behavioral management of headache triggers: Avoidance of triggers is an inadequate strategy,” Paul R Martin and Colin MacLeod, Clin Psychol Rev, 2009.
One article on PainScience.com cites Davis-Martin 2017 as a source:
- Complete Guide to Headaches — Detailed, readable, science-based self-help for tension headaches and other common musculoskeletal headaches
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Effectiveness of customised foot orthoses for Achilles tendinopathy: a randomised controlled trial. Munteanu 2015 Br J Sports Med.
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.