A biomechanical approach to the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of plantar fasciitis
One article on PainSci cites Chandler 1993: Complete Guide to Plantar Fasciitis
PainSci notes on Chandler 1993:
Chandler and Kibler reported a 10% occurrence rate of plantar fasciitis in runners way back in 1993.
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
Plantar fasciitis is a repetitive microtrauma overload injury of the attachment of the plantar fascia at the inferior aspect of the calcaneus. The diagnosis of plantar fasciitis is common among athletes in many sports, primarily those sports that involve running. Common treatments for plantar fasciitis, including ice, stretching, ultrasound, and shoe inserts are helpful in reducing the symptoms. However, recurrence of the problem is common. By understanding the potential biomechanical causes of this disorder it may be possible to correct the anatomical and biomechanical variables that cause plantar fasciitis and reduce the rate of recurrence as well as speed the rehabilitation process. It may also be possible to identify predisposing maladaptations that can be corrected, therefore, preventing the initial occurrence of plantar fasciitis.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.