Two articles on PainSci cite Bereznicki 2018: 1. Massage Therapy for Bruxism, Jaw Clenching, and TMJ Syndrome 2. The Complete Guide to Chronic Tension Headaches
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
A review of the literature on night guards left questions unanswered about the risk and possible causes of occlusal derangement linked to night guard design and use. Cases are presented where night guard use resulted in anterior open bite and associated occlusal derangement. The aetiology of the occlusal changes observed is discussed. It is concluded that adverse occlusal effects linked to the use of night guards may be found to be more common than anticipated from existing literature. Patient follow-up is essential to monitor the use and effects of night guards, and regardless of appliance type, unintended occlusal changes may result. The use and effects of partial coverage appliances require very careful monitoring. Suggestions are provided for information and written instructions to be given to patients provided with night guards and removable orthodontic retainers.
- “Epidemiology of bruxism in adults: a systematic review of the literature,” Daniele Manfredini, Ephraim Winocur, Luca Guarda-Nardini, Daniel Paesani, and Frank Lobbezoo, J Orofac Pain, 2013.
- “Unilateral or "side-locked" migrainous headache with autonomic symptoms linked to night guard use,” Jean Strahlendorf, Randolph Schiffer, and Howard Strahlendorf, Headache, 2008.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.