Two articles on PainSci cite Behera 2018: 1. Massage Therapy Side Effects 2. Does Massage Increase Circulation?
PainSci notes on Behera 2018:
This is case study of a young man who died because his mother gave him a leg massage after an ankle fracture. “Autopsy confirmed the cause of death as pulmonary thromboembolism due to deep vein thrombosis of the leg veins which was dislodged and travelled to his lungs consequent to the leg massage. The treating doctors did not warn the patient of the risk of developing pulmonary thromboembolism.”
original abstract †Abstracts here may not perfectly match originals, for a variety of technical and practical reasons. Some abstacts are truncated for my purposes here, if they are particularly long-winded and unhelpful. I occasionally add clarifying notes. And I make some minor corrections.
We report the sudden death of a 23-year-old male with hairline ankle fracture after massage of the leg by his mother. Autopsy confirmed the cause of death as pulmonary thromboembolism due to deep vein thrombosis of the leg veins which was dislodged and travelled to his lungs consequent to the leg massage. The treating doctors did not warn the patient of the risk of developing pulmonary thromboembolism.
- “Pulmonary embolus originating below knee,” S E Warren, Lancet, 1978.
- “Renal artery embolization after back massage in a patient with aortic occlusion,” A Mikhail, J F Reidy, P R Taylor, and J E Scoble, Nephrol Dial Transplant, 1997.
- “Massive pulmonary emboli after legs massage,” Fadi I Jabr, Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 2007.
- “Massaging the outcome: an unusual presentation of pulmonary embolism,” Danny Chin Guan Lim, Hari Kishan Jayanthi, Andrew Money-Kyrle, and Punit Ramrakha, BMJ Case Rep, 2009.
- “Leg massage during pregnancy with unrecognized deep vein thrombosis could be life threatening: a case report,” Krongkarn Sutham, Sukumpat Na-Nan, Salilthip Paiboonsithiwong, Pakorn Chaksuwat, and Theera Tongsong, BMC Pregnancy Childbirth, 2020.
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Is Neck Posture Subgroup in Late Adolescence a Risk Factor for Persistent Neck Pain in Young Adults? A Prospective Study. Richards 2021 Phys Ther.
- Photobiomodulation therapy is not better than placebo in patients with chronic nonspecific low back pain: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Guimarães 2021 Pain.
- No effect of creatine monohydrate supplementation on inflammatory and cartilage degradation biomarkers in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Cornish 2018 Nutr Res.
- The CANBACK trial: a randomised, controlled clinical trial of oral cannabidiol for people presenting to the emergency department with acute low back pain. Bebee 2021 Med J Aust.
- Relationships Between Sleep Quality and Pain-Related Factors for People with Chronic Low Back Pain: Tests of Reciprocal and Time of Day Effects. Gerhart 2017 Ann Behav Med.