One article on PainSci cites Bakhtadze 2012: Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder
PainSci commentary on Bakhtadze 2012: ?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided wherever possible.
This is a only existing study of a frozen shoulder treatment, Trigenics® OAT. It was conducted by the chiropractor who invented it, based on patient data collected in his own clinic, and allegedly published in the suspiciously mysterious “Russian Journal of Manual Therapy.” I can find no record of the existence of the Russian Journal of Manual Therapy. Google has not indexed any page on the Internet that cites any paper published in it other than this one. It’s not indexed by PubMed either. If the journal ever existed, it does not exist in any form online today, which is basically inconceivable for a journal that was allegedly publishing in 2012. It’s either hopelessly obscure or fake, and I suspect the latter.
Unsurprisingly, the study claims to show “a 98% restoration of arm raise ability (abduction) within 2 days.” The risk of bias in such a study is, of course, as high as it gets — and that’s assuming it’. As the (two) authors themselves note, “it is recommended that further studies be conducted.” Understatement.
~ Paul Ingraham
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- Inciting events associated with lumbar disc herniation. Suri 2010 Spine J.
- Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Pople 1994 Spine (Phila Pa 1976).
- Characteristics of patients with low back and leg pain seeking treatment in primary care: baseline results from the ATLAS cohort study. Konstantinou 2015 BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of universal school-based mindfulness training compared with normal school provision in reducing risk of mental health problems and promoting well-being in adolescence: the MYRIAD cluster randomised controlled trial. Kuyken 2022 Evid Based Ment Health.
- Is there a relationship between throbbing pain and arterial pulsations? Mirza 2012 J Neurosci.