PainSci summary of Bakhtadze 2012?This page is one of thousands in the PainScience.com bibliography. It is not a general article: it is focused on a single scientific paper, and it may provide only just enough context for the summary to make sense. Links to other papers and more general information are provided at the bottom of the page, as often as possible. ★☆☆☆☆1-star ratings are for negative examples, fatally flawed papers, junk science, suspected fraud. Ratings are a highly subjective opinion, and subject to revision at any time. If you think this paper has been incorrectly rated, please let me know.
This is a only existing study of a frozen shoulder treatment, Trigenics® OAT. It was conducted by the chiropractor who invented it, based on patient data collected in his own clinic, and allegedly published in the suspiciously mysterious “Russian Journal of Manual Therapy.” I can find no record of the existence of the Russian Journal of Manual Therapy. Google has not indexed any page on the Internet that cites any paper published in it other than this one. It’s not indexed by PubMed either. If the journal ever existed, it does not exist in any form online today, which is basically inconceivable for a journal that was allegedly publishing in 2012. It’s either hopelessly obscure or fake, and I suspect the latter.
Unsurprisingly, the study claims to show “a 98% restoration of arm raise ability (abduction) within 2 days.” The risk of bias in such a study is, of course, as high as it gets — and that’s assuming it’. As the (two) authors themselves note, “it is recommended that further studies be conducted.” Understatement.
One article on PainScience.com cites Bakhtadze 2012 as a source:
- PS Frozen Shoulder Guide — An extremely detailed & readable guide to one of the strangest of all common musculoskeletal problems, for both patients and pros
This page is part of the PainScience BIBLIOGRAPHY, which contains plain language summaries of thousands of scientific papers & others sources. It’s like a highly specialized blog. A few highlights:
- A Bayesian model-averaged meta-analysis of the power pose effect with informed and default priors: the case of felt power. Gronau 2017 Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology.
- The neck and headaches. Bogduk 2014 Neurol Clin.
- Agreement of self-reported items and clinically assessed nerve root involvement (or sciatica) in a primary care setting. Konstantinou 2012 Eur Spine J.
- Effect of NSAIDs on Recovery From Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Morelli 2017 Am J Sports Med.
- Association of Spinal Manipulative Therapy With Clinical Benefit and Harm for Acute Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Paige 2017 JAMA.